You are here: TWiki> Sandbox Web>WebHome (revision 7)

Strong Lensing @ DES-Brazil

There are no telecons as of now

[*Regular meetings are not currently taking place*] Weekly meetings to discuss the ongoing work and selected papers (see the "reading list" for each meeting). The meetings take place on Thursdays at 10h.

At least temporarily, we are having the telecons through skype. [ DES-Brazil telecon line: dial 4003-5004 from any Brazilian capital or 55 11 4003-5004 worldwide. The room # is 1277 and the access code is 040 [482]. ] [Code for CBPF (ICRA meeting room) line: *72*2020#0 and then phone #]

The proposed papers for discussion are posted here.

Projects and priorities

All ongoing work must be in the CIT SL project: http://cit.des-brazil.org/views/select_project/18

Priorities for 2011A:

  • Work on real and simulated data: SOGRAS, CS82., SDSS, DC6B.X
  • Strong Lensing codes to be completed: AddArcs, PaintArcs, Perturbative Approach, ArcFitting
  • Modeling: Arc Statistics/Cross-section, impact of/on Cosmology
  • Identification/Characterization of arcs: GalClean, Arc Finders (implement existing and complete our own, including MediatrixArcfinder), Arc Finding Framework, Momentix, QA Arcs, SLtools v1.0

For the future:

  • extend SL statistics (arcs, magnification, multiple images)
  • SL inversion
  • Complete the Simulations framwork, including our own "projection codes" (e.g. PertArcs)
  • Complete the Arc finding framework

See a list of proposed projects at DESbrSLSG2011plan.

For projects in progress now, go to PreCitStrongLens.

Old project listings and ideas: DESbrSLSG2010plan, StrongLensing and CosmoObs.CosmoObsTeam

Important guidelines

Os integrantes do grupo devem atentar às normas abaixo, especialmente ao criar e concluir CIT tasks.

  • Uso do CIT: qualquer pessoa trabalhando deve estar trabalhando numa CIT task e, estando, utilizar o CIT regularmente.
  • as tasks ativas de cada integrante deverão estar sempre atualizadas ao lado do seu nome em CBPFTeam.
  • todas as mensagens do CIT deverão ir com cópia (cc) para a lista relevante (SL, WL).
  • Para reuniões inter-diárias, comunicação via e-mail para tasks com 1 pessoa, skype para mais.
  • o planejamento anual está em DESbrSLSG2011plan, sendo que as tasks ativas devem estar no PreCitStrongLens.
  • o precit monitora o andamento das tasks. Mantenha o precit atualizado com o andamento das tasks e fechando-as quando concluídas.
  • manter o Sprints Calendar atualizado com os integrantes, a duração do sprint e datas de reuniões (semi-daily sprints, review, etc).

Next meetings

SLtools - Simulations week, Aug. 22-26, 2011

See SLtoolsSimulationsWeek2011

Next AddArcs meeting: roadmap to v1.0, TBD

  • Next steps and roadmap for release and publication
Agenda (outdated):
  • Review AddArcs structure, including
    • necessary changes for the portal (and "parallelization")
    • definition and flow of the modules
    • generality of halo/lens_model and source_model
    • new source catalogs, including DES/v2.11
    • new halos catalogs, including v2.11
    • headers of AddArcs files (see AddArcsMeet100520)
    • documentation
  • Discuss next steps, set up priorities, and establish a time-line
  • AddArcs for DC-6
    • Create a SL catalog for 2.11 (including arclets for massive clusters?)
    • ArcEllipse fits? (also in SLtools day)
  • Other applications and use of AddArcs:
    • Produce a large arcs database with extensive runs of AddArcs
    • Lens inversion (including simulations for Seitz)
    • Arc image database with constant size for GPA applications

Past Meetings

LIneA Lensing Telecon, October, 5, 2012

Agenda

  • Workshop Sogras
    • Local organisation
    • Aims
    • Plans
  • Update on Lensing at SOGRAS and plans
    • What we intend to do: Technics, Science, (mass, cor match), Gemini x SOGRAS, WL?
    • Workshop and specifics telecons
  • Update on Lensing at CS82 and plans
    • Update em arcfinding
    • Scientific analysis
    • Proposals and timeline
  • Update on Strong Lensing at DES
    • Strides proposal
    • Science Verification
    • Simulations
    • Meetings
  • Plans for DES Science Verification and early data
  • Plans for DES early papers
  • Update on other projects
  • AOB

See notes at: LIneaLensingMeetingOct52012

SLtools - Simulations week preparatory meeting, Aug. 19, 2011

See notes for preparation at SLtoolsSimulationsWeek2011

SLtools - Image week, Agu. 1-3, 2011

See notes at: SLtoolsDays2011

SLtools days preparatory meeting, 27/07/2011

See notes at: SLtoolsDays2011#SLtools_Preparation_Day_27_07_fr

Lensing Recap and Planning (including theory and clusters), 13/07/2011

Agenda:

  • Review dos planos para o primeiro semestre e o que foi feito
  • Milestones
  • Teoria
  • WL
  • SL

Milestones:

  • scope documents
  • SLtools - Image week (marcada para 1 a 3 de agosto), pré-meeting geral dos SLtools days: 27/07 [*amanhã*]
  • SLtools - Simulations week (marcada para 22 a 26 de agosto), pré-meeting de SLtools simulations week: 19/08
  • Visits: Anupreeta (3 a 17 de agosto) [+Verónica, 14 a 19 de agosto)], Cristina (31/07 a 12/08), Julia (proposta para 10 a 23/09)
  • Portal
  • BCC/VCC
  • DES meeting (7-11/10)
  • papers (and reports)
  • SOGRAS: Gemini + SOAR
  • CS82 (nada do WISER/VISTA)
  • Teses Habib, Carlos, Maria

[muita coisa, mas somos 13 pessoas!]

Meetings

  • Wrapping day
Roberto, Fernando, Flavia (Rogério?), Bruno, Gabriel, Habib, Carlos, Clécio (?) Definido para 19/07 a partir de 14h. [*realizado com sucesso* Favor circular os links com a documentação na twiki se ainda não foi feito]

  • SLtools - image e simulation days:

Define and complete v1.0 (no new codes, just defining which enter v1.0, polising, integrating, documenting, standardizing, and writing paper)

Reuniões preparatórias: Apresentação do que há e o que deveria ser melhorado (em termos de documentação e padronização, uso/sinergia com outros códigos da biblioteca, etc. não em termos de novos códigos)

    • inventário dos códigos
    • definir v1.0
    • o que funde/muda

  • Reunião preparatória geral: 27/07
  • SLtools - Image week: 1 a 3 de agosto

  • Pré-meeting de SLtools simulations week: 19/08
  • SLtools - Simulations week: marcada para 22 a 26 de agosto

Scope documents [include links to CIT and twiki]

Cronograma: 1a versão:18-22/07 [falhei na entrega dessa versão e portanto o cronograma foi postergado] Entrega a Mônica: 25-29/07

Documentos e responsáveis:

SL simulations: Pedro, Gabriel, Bruno, Habib

Arc Characterization: Clécio, Cristina, Basílio

AddArcs: Carlos, Pedro, Habib/Gabriel (novos)

GalClean: Cristina, Basílio

Arcfinding: Cristina/Anu ("guardiãs do conhecimento")

Not including science (SL statistics, etc.) for now

Papers

  • Arc Statistics
  • PNFW
  • Hough/Momentix notes
  • Perturbative Approach (29/08 -> duas primeiras semanas de setembro)
  • PaintArcs/ArcFitting
  • MediatrixArcfinder/Arcfinder comparison
  • GalClean (+arcfinder)
  • GalClean morfologia
  • SLtools
  • Halo and cosmology (unbinned)
  • Cluster abundance+LSS (bias)
  • SOGRAS
  • CS82

Portal

Aproximadamente em ordem cronológica: Halo cosmology, cluster cosmology, AddArcs, shear2mass, GalClean

Theory

Mainstream: combined probes

Global project: Oguri and Takada, arXiv:1010.0744 [rodando em 2o plano para todos. Roberto lidera localmente]

Niches: W+SL combined, alternative models

WL

1) Pix2Shear

Complete and apply to DC6, CS82, Gemini/SOGRAS Insert on portal Help others to do so

2) Shear2Mass

Complete and apply to VCC Insert on portal to close cluster cosmology loop

Lensing Recap and Planning: 26/05/2011 @ 15h

Retrospective:

  • Diagnóstico geral: em termos de planejamento, estamos bem. Em termos de volume de trabalho, estamos mal. Iniciamos vários projetos, mas não avançaram tão bem.

  • Aspectos positivos: estamos seguindo a sequência do que foi planejado, tudo que estamos fazendo, foi planejamento, a sequência das ferramenteas (CIT, Pre-CIT, Planning 2011A) funciona, o uso do CIT está sendo bom e resolveu o problema de excesso de mails que existia anteriormente.

  • Aspectos negativos: duas das três vantagens que tínhamos obtido até antes do carnaval foram perdidas. O foco foi mantido, mas o acompanhamento do trabalho decaiu (as pessoas em geral tem usado menos o CIT e de maneira menos eficaz) e a comunicação foi perdida por completo, com continuação de duplicações, trabalho individualizado.

  • [Habib] Isso não seria uma consequência da redução do número de pessoas por sprint? [Martín] Parece que como a redução de sprints acabou criando uma situação em que pessoas estão trabalhando sozinhas em sprints separados, e com isso a comunicação e a atividade com as ferramentas decaiu.

  • Pergunta: vamos continuar com esse sistema, ou vamos mudá-lo? [Clécio] se for sprint de uma pessoa, fazer por notas, se for de duas ou mais, skype. [Habib] Propõe relatórios inter-diários feitos alternativamente por membros do grupo. [Bruno] Crê que o CIT já se encarrega disto. Propõe que todas nossas listas locais estejam em CC das tasks que estamos realizando. Proposta foi aprovada para ser testada. Pergunta complementar [Mariana]: mensagens de relatório em sprints individuais deveriam também ser enviadas pelo CIT? Opinião geral é que não, devem ser e-mails mesmo.

  • Gabriel: Teve sérios problemas com o planejamento, pois acabaram sempre surgindo coisas inesperadas aparecendo em média a cada duas semanas. Estas coisas eram esperadas, mas foram insuficientemente planejadas. Exemplos: trabalho pro BOSS, trabalho pro SOGRAS. Acha que temos tomar cuidado para ter um planejamento geral e fazer o máximo pra não sair disso. Acabamos saindo do planejado devido a planejamento insuficiente.

  • Bruno: Crê que os problemas do sistema tem muito a ver com excesso de volume de trabalho e falta de planejamento de longo prazo (produtos "inesperados", como atividades no SOGRAS e no CS82).

  • Martín: Concorda em parte, mas lembra que ciência tem um fator de imprevisibilidade e que correções de rumo são e serão sempre necessárias. Está muito satisfeito com a atividade no SOGRAS e no CS82, pois esta "imprevisibilidade" também abre portas para ciência interessante. Além disso, a diversificação do trabalho tem um impacto bem positivo para a experiência das pessoas em diferentes áreas.

  • Gabriel: Concorda em parte, mas se incomoda bastante com a sensação de estar apagando incêndios.

  • Martín: Infelizmente, não há muita maneira de escapar a isto, sobretudo numa grande colaboração, em que o trabalho de todos avança desta maneira. Exemplo: DC6.

  • Martín sugere que cada um coloque a lista das tasks em que está trabalhando ao lado do nome na página CBPF People. Votação a favor.

  • Martín insiste que as pessoas precisam procurá-lo com mais frequência. É preciso procurá-lo (e aos outros também), mesmo que receba-se um não.

  • Habib questionou a questão do perfeccionismo do Martín na correção dos textos, e o porquê de tal exigência. Martín admite o perfeccionismo, mas também comenta sobre a necessidade de melhor redação por parte da equipe. Também admite que não conseguiu seguir as seis horas semanais de leitura. Bruno comenta que como isso não se resolve da noite pro dia, seria necessário encontrar maneiras de acelerar o processo. Martín comenta também que existe questões externas, ligadas a lista de nomes em artigos e pressões da parte do LIneA. Discussão sobre a necessidade de reorganizar a questão da redação. Mariana deu o exemplo de Rogério, Flávia e Fernando, onde chega em um ponto em que Rogério toma as rédeas e resolve o problema.

Resultados da Reunião

Action Items

  • Task ao lado do nome na página do CBPFTeam.
  • Todos (lista relevante: SL, WL...) em cópia das mensagens de todos os sprints.
  • Para reuniões inter-diárias, e-mail para tasks com 1 pessoa, skype para mais.
  • Reavaliar a metodologia de redação e revisão dos papers (adicionalmente, ler mais papers para criar o hábito).
  • Marcar um SLtools Day.

Diretivas Importantes

  • Uso do CIT: qualquer pessoa trabalhando deve estar trabalhando numa CIT task e, estando, utilizar o CIT regularmente.
  • Mais autonomia. Não hesitar em contactar o Martín. Vê-lo como um consultor, não como um chefe.
  • A questão de redação e publicação dos papers é delicada e envolve vários fatores complexos.
  • Objetivos para a reunião de planejamento:
    • metas para o DES Meeting Portsmouth.
    • produção dos documentos para os pipelines (scope, design e specifications)

Cosmological Integrators Meeting/telecom: 25/02/2011 @ 14h

Agenda:
  • Define standard "integrators" for cosmological distances
  • Define the location of code(s) on the repositories
  • Define input/output of the codes
  • Define python wrapper for the/a code
  • Discuss possible integrations among the repositories
  • Establish a procedure for completing the "cosmological distance" modules (including SLtools standards, high and on-line documentation, doxygen, etc.)

List of questions to be discussed:

  • Informações sobre integradores e distâncias cosmológicas:
    • Quais integradores gerais temos?
    • Quais as limitações técnicas (tipos específicos de funções, etc) e numéricas de cada um?
    • Quais programas que calculam distâncias cosmológicas temos?
    • Quais as limitações físicas (modelos cosmológicos por exemplo) de cada um?

  • Decisões sobre integradores e distâncias cosmológicas:
    • Qual(is) integrador(es) queremos usar?
    • Qual a(s) função(ões) que calcula(m) distâncias cosmológicas usaremos?
    • Quais as vantagens (qualidade do integrador, simplicidade da função etc) de cada um?

  • Decisões sobre linguagem:
    • O integrador será em C ou C++? Como a estrutura do código afeta o wrapping?
    • Como a escolha influencia cada biblioteca?
    • Teremos um único código em C/C++ e o seu wrapper em python, ou uma versão para os códigos em C/C++ e outra com wrapper em python?

  • Questões estruturais (influenciadas pelas escolhas acima, ou vice-versa):
    • Qual nível de integração queremos entre cosmolib, cosmoclusterlib, WLcode, Sltools?
    • Como a integração destas bibliotecas pode ser feita?
    • Em função dessas escolhas, quando e como faremos o necessário?

  • Questões secundárias:
    • É possível colocar a documentação da cosmolib na web, assim como foi feito com a sltools?
    • ...

SL Meeting/telecon: 11/02/2011 @ 13h

Agenda:

Notes at SLDESbrMeet11022011

SL Meeting/telecon: 09/12/2010 @ 10h

Agenda:

SL journal club: 02/12/2010 @ 16h

Selected papers (recent papers on observations of gravitational arcs (arc surveys and arc detection in real images) [presenter]:

Of course there are several other recent papers on arc surveys. But let's go through these 2 examples (COSMOS and RCS) this time. We already discussed MACS, LOCUSS and SL2S in the past.

SL Meeting: 02/12/2010 @ 10h

Agenda:

Notes at SLDESbrMeet02122010

Python/Linux hands-on II: 24/11/2010 12-16h

Program:

  • python in practice: anything you think we should know about pyhton that the team does not seem to know or use (so, this topic includes "good programming practices")
  • python for (SL) cosmo/astro: existing codes that are needed for our work on SL, like pyfits, pywcs, matplotlib/scipy, specific libraries, etc.
  • wrapping c codes II
  • an example code: code to select image objects (name?)

SL Meeting: 18/11/2010 @ 10h

Agenda:
  • Status reports:
    • SOGRAS (5min)
    • AddArcs (5min)
    • SLtools (5min)
  • preparation for DC-6: where do we stand and what is missing ( http://cit.des-brazil.org/tasks/edit/483 ) (15min)
  • discussion on CFHT/stripe-82 survey (15min)
  • news from the LARIM meeting at Morelia (10min)
  • next JC date/time (5min)
  • any other business

Python/Linux hands-on I: 19/11/2010 14-20h

Program:

  • python basics: object oriented programming, concept of modules, how to implement this in practice, "functions" x modules, structure of the code in terms of files and folders, correct way of importing modules, correct ways of defining paths, etc.
  • python in practice: anything you think we should know about pyhton that the team does not seem to know or use (so, this topic includes "good programming practices")
  • python for the (SL) developer: standards for documentation (doxygen); naming of functions, modules, variables, etc.; structure and use of the SLtools and SL code repositories, format and style of the code for these two repositories (including how to define and modify default values, make the function executable on the command line, etc.)
  • wrapping c codes. Necessary packages, how to do, examples using the codes on sltools/numerical_methods (and maybe PerturbativeMethod).

SLtools telecon: Review SLtools structure: 05/11/2010 @ 1pm

Agenda

  • repository x library
  • C and wrapping
  • File and folder structure x modules [python modules x C and Fortran codes (+Mathematica, tex, etc.): where they should stay]

For the outcome of the discussion on the folder structure, see the Strong Lensing Doc page

SL journal club 03/11/2010 @ 16h

Papers discussed: Jullo et al. and D'Aloisio et al., from DESbrSLSG#Strong_Lensing_and_cosmology

Meeting: 28/10/2010 @ 15h

Agenda:

Meeting: 14/10/2010 @ 10h

Agenda:

Notes at SLDESbrMeet101014

Meeting: 07/10/2010 @ 10h

Agenda:

Notes at SLDESbrMeet101007

Meeting: 30/09/2010 @ 10h

Agenda:

Notes at SLDESbrMeet100930

Meeting: 16/09/2010 @ 10h

Agenda:

Notes at SLDESbrMeet100916

Meeting: 02/09/2010 @ 10h

Agenda:
  • Feedback from international SL telecon
  • report on DC-5
  • preparation for DC-6
  • plans for Chicago: face-to-face and remote
  • preparation for SAB meeting
  • progress on the implementations of the perturbative approach
  • other progresses, taks due, etc.

Meeting: 25/08/2010 @ 15h

Agenda:
  • Perturbative approach for arcs and applications (see PerturbedArcs and links/refs therein)
  • Analysis of DC-5
  • Preparation for DC-6
  • Status of AddArcs and SLtools
  • Pending tasks/issues
  • Next DES SL telecon
  • Preparation for SAB meeting

Meeting: 28/07/2010 @ 15h

Agenda:

  • Proposal of science "papers": include title, a brief abstract (just to state the aims, expected reuslts, etc. a bullet list is OK), and first authors. This shall be posted at DESbrSLSG2010plan and will be discussed during the telecon
  • Should the tasks in DESbrSLSG2010plan go to CIT? Replan 2nd half of 2010 according to new tasks?

Notes at SLDESbrMeet100728

SLtools day: 27/07/2010 from 14h - 19:30h

[ http://www.doodle.com/92evfycdyt2qf4yh ]

  • Use of CIT and preparation for MS project
  • Brief discussion on basic/intensive python course/training (by Carlos)
  • New repository structure and standards:
    • SLcode (including AddArcs) x SLtools, dictionary+translators/parsers x simple inputs
    • programming, conventions, documentation, builds, etc.
  • SLtools documentation
    • review the documentation scheme (highlights of documentation within the modules)
    • moving of the info at SLtoolsModules to the code itself and/or to SLtoolsTree. Remove SLtoolsModules.
    • Add informations on releases, builds etc. to SLtools
  • GIT: using branches for parallel development
  • Existing public codes (based on PublicSoftware)
  • Functional codes in SLtools
  • New codes in SLtools and applications
  • SLtools + AddArcs + dependencies in Tawala

Notes at SLDESbrMeet100727

AddArcs day: 22/07/2010, 15h - 20h

[ http://www.doodle.com/92evfycdyt2qf4yh ]

Agenda:

  • Use of CIT
  • New repository structure and standards:
    • SLcode (including AddArcs) x SLtools, dictionary+translators/parsers x simple inputs
    • programming, conventions, documentation, builds, etc.
  • Review AddArcs structure, including
    • necessary changes for the portal (and "parallelization")
    • generality of halo/lens_model and source_model
    • headers of AddArcs files (see AddArcsMeet100520)
    • documentation
  • Discuss next steps, set up priorities, and establish a time-line

Meeting: 21/07/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

  • Paper discussion: Courbin et al., 2010
  • Proposal of science "papers": include title, a brief abstract (just to state the aims, expected reuslts, etc. a bullet list is OK), and first authors. This shall be posted at DESbrSLSG2010plan and will be discussed during the telecon
  • Completion of DC-5 activities on SL and final report
  • Weekly reports, use of ClockingIT
  • Image and arc databases
  • New structure of the repositories (SLcode/SLtools)
  • New results from the group
  • Progress on tools and code development and implementation

Notes at SLDESbrMeet100721

Meeting: 14/07/2010 @ 15h

Agenda:

  • Applications and use of AddArcs:
    • Create a SL catalog for 2.11 (including arclets for massive clusters?)
    • Simulations for Seitz
    • Arc image database with constant size for GPA applications
  • Reports:
    • SLtools documentation
    • New codes in SLtools
    • New results and other progress
  • Review last meeting ACTION ITEMS (see SLDESbrMeet100611), including
  • Discussion
    • Mandeep's visit
    • Angelo's visit
    • SLtools and AddArcs days
    • Meeting format and periodicity (papers, technical issues, DES/SDSS/LIneA, mailing list use, etc.)

Notes at SLDESbrMeet100714

Meeting: 18/06/2010

Agenda:

  • Paper discussion:
    • C. Fedeli, M. Bartelmann, M. Meneghetti, L. Moscardini, 2008, Strong lensing statistics and the power spectrum normalisation, A&A 486, 35; arXiv:0803.0656 (ADS link, local copy here)
  • Science and achievements: publication of codes, technical and scientific papers
  • Discussion on portal data server
  • Review last meeting ACTION ITEMS (see SLDESbrMeet100611)
  • Progress on the new codes
    • Generation of a "database" of arcs (and other objects)
  • AddArcs
  • Progress on documentation of the codes

Notes at SLDESbrMeet100618 (no local telecon on 25/06)

Meeting: 11/06/2010

Agenda:

  • Review last meeting ACTION ITEMS (see SLDESbrMeet100528)
  • Progress on the new codes
  • Status of AddArcs for the portal
  • Progress on documentation of the codes (imcopy, PaintArcs, etc.)

After the meeting (15:30h), we will continue the discussion on new codes for SLtools:

  • postage-stamp generator for objects identified by SExtractor [config file? with "predefined options"? options in "command line"?] [Pedro, Clécio, Cristina, Carlos]
  • "SE runner" included above, separate, or no code? [Cristina, Clécio?]
  • imcp.py [Carlos]
    • new feature: paste on a larger image [different from .cutout ?]
  • catalog2ds9region [Angelo, Cristina]
  • Mediatrix decomposition [image] and many applications and statistics [new folders] [Clécio]
  • readimg, maxdist, etc. [see SLtoolsTree] [who?]

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100611

SLtools meeting: 09/06/2010 @ 14

Participants: Martin, Cristina, Gabriel, Angelo, Carlos, Clécio, Habib [ http://www.doodle.com/a4uckf82df9pv4st ]

Agenda:

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLtoolsMeet100609

Meeting: 28/05/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

  • Paper discussion:
    • C. Fedeli et al., 2008, Strong Lensing Statistics and the Power Spectrum Normalisation, A&A 486, 35
    • E. R. Carrasco et al., Strong Gravitational Lensing by the Super-massive cD Galaxy in Abell 3827, ApJ 715, L160 (2010)
  • Review last meeting ACTION ITEMS (see SLDESbrMeet100521), among them
    • Report on activities with DC-5b
      • Region files for objects on the catalog and their display close to the arc positions. What did the processing do to the arcs?
      • Running SE on the images with added arcs (both in DC-5 and with new arcs). How does this compare with the DESDM output?
    • Progress on the new codes
    • Status of AddArcs for the portal
    • Progress on documentation of the codes (including running AddArcs on a cluster, imcopy, PaintArcs, etc.)
    • SOGRAS

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100528

Meeting: 21/05/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

  • Review last meeting ACTION ITEMS
  • Paper discussion: Horesh et al., 2010
  • Report on activities with DC-5b
    • Region files for objects on the catalog and their display close to the arc positions. What did the processing do to the arcs?
    • Running SE on the images with added arcs (both in DC-5 and with new arcs). How does this compare with the DESDM output?
  • Progress on the new codes
  • SOGRAS

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100521

AddArcs Meeting: 20/05/2010 @ 16h

http://www.doodle.com/68tc9v96kmsamab5

Agenda:

  • Code development x use for science
  • Redistribution of the code workload
  • AddArcs priorities (for v0.3, DC-6 and maintenance of current code and documentation) [see a priority list at AddArcsV3]
  • Documentation (define standards, role of doxygen, etc)
  • AddArcs's dependencies
  • AddArcs4Stella [Carlos]
  • access to the code for "external collaborators"

Notes (in Portuguese) at AddArcsMeet100520

Meeting: 14/05/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

  • Discussion of the Madrid meeting
  • Paper discussion: Coe et. al 2010, the reference on LensPerfect method is here, see also CMZ
  • Conclusion of the activities on GSN/DC-5a and preparation for DC-5b
  • SOGRAS
  • Progress on the new codes (PaintArcs, etc.)
  • Documentation of the slcode (define standards, role of doxygen, etc)

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100514

Meeting: 30/04/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100430

Meeting: 16/04/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100416

Meeting: 09/04/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

  • paper discussion: Comerford et al. 2006 (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2006ApJ...642...39C). To be revisited in the next telecon
  • discussion on the SL telecon
  • discussion on cluster galaxies and substructures
  • discussion on the contributions for the Brazilian Astronomical Society Meeting
  • discussion on names for the DES speaker's bureau

Meeting: 26/03/2010 @ 14h

Agenda

  • "Journal club". Selected papers for comments:
  • Planning for 2010: schedules, progress on projects and project management tool definition
  • AddArcs: build 0.1.2
  • Discussion/presentation of projects for CFHTLS
  • SOGRAS proposals (Gemini and SOAR), CFHTLS proposal
  • Dates of DES-Brazil meetings

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100326

Meeting: 19/03/2010 @ 14h

Agenda

Notes (partly in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100319

Meeting: 12/03/2010 @ 15h

Agenda

  • AddArcs: build 0.1.2, new schedule for "external release"
  • SOGRAS proposal
  • News from the BOSS/SDSS3 meeting (presentation here)
  • AOB

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100312

Meeting: 05/03/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

  • Installation of AddArcs in the Science Portal
  • AddArcs v0.1.1 tests, bugs and preparation for the external release (11/3)
  • Science codes under portal (independent git repositories?)
  • GalClean
  • Planning for 2010: schedules, progress on projects and project management tool definition

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100305

Meeting: 26/02/2010 @ 14h

This meeting was cancelled due to the participation in the Portal tutorial presented by Bruno Rossetto and Leandro Martelli. Pedro, Angelo and Cristina attended to the tutorial.

Meeting: 19/02/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

  • Status of AddArcs
    • Feedback of the first milestone (what can be improved? asignment of tickets, etc)
  • Prospects for the integration on the DES-Brazil science portal
    • how exactly should be a system call (os.system, commands, popen)?
  • DC-5 analyses/applications (starting with GSN implementation)
    • AddArcs in August 2009/January GSN and DC-5
    • Analysis of arcs currently in DC-5
    • Getting DC5 Data Telecon: February 22nd, 9-11 am CST [12h-14h BST], see agenda here (See also Brian Yanny e-mail: Update on the status of DC-5)
  • SL and other science @ SDSS presentation
  • Discussion on Management tools and software definition.
    • (could use DES google calendar to set milestones using 'tasks' ?)
  • AOB

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100219

Meeting: 05/02/2010 @ 15h

Agenda:

  • Status of AddArcs. Resolution of posted tickets
  • Discussion on the SLcode tree
  • Discussion on the SLWG telecon

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100205

Meeting: 29/01/2010 @ 14h

Agenda:

Action Items:

  • Have AddArcs v0.1 working (no "gambiarras")
  • Marcar conversa Marcelo Giovanni, i) c/Carlos e Martín, ii) c/Marcelo Portes e cia., iii) c/cúpula da CAT
  • AddArcs documentations: explicitar em que versões do python roda (todas as 2.X?)
  • SOGRAS: escrever detalhadamente a parte da redução. Enviar relatório sobre os dados do SOGRAS para a equipe do SOAR

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100129

Meeting: 22/01/2010 @ 14h

Agenda

  • Preliminary results on generating "fake arcs" with the ArcEllipse: Cristina
  • Establish priorities, make a timetable with milestones, specifying the associated tasks and the form of interaction among sub-projects and among the participants of the group (incluiding the portal team).
  • Madrid Collaboration meeting

Action Items:

  • %CLI% Planejamento para 2010: preencher/rever/reavaliar DESbrSLSG2010plan
  • %CLI% Ter o AddArcs v0.1 funcionando
  • %CLI% Marcar reunião SOGRAS, planejar calibração e análises científicas (criar mailing list do projeto)
  • %CLI% Marcar reunião Cristina, Basílio e Martín sobre o GalClean
  • %CLI% Marcar "theory day" para começar o repositório de teoria: Mariana, Gabriel, Habib, ...?
  • %CLI% Marcar conversa Marcelo Giovanni, i) c/Carlos e Martín, ii) c/Marcelo Portes e cia., iii) c/cúpula da CAT
  • %CLI% Discutir o value added catalog
  • %CLI% Documentação AddArcs: explicitar em que versões do python roda (todas as 2.X?)
  • %CLI% SOGRAS: escrever detalhadamente a parte da redução. Enviar relatório sobre os dados do SOGRAS para a equipe do SOAR

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet220110

After the meeting we will discuss the AddArcs build and documentation.

  • Addarcs build - o que é, por quê? e como implementá-lo.

Meeting: 12/01/2010 @ 16h

Participants: Angelo, Cristina, Carlos, Habib, Martín, Gabriel, Pedro, Maria

Agenda

  • plans/projects for 2010: please, take a look at DESbrSLSG2010plan. Add your name on the side of the projects you would like to contribute to and put the fraction of time to be dedicated to this contribution. On you own areas you can describe in more details these contributions, including milestones and a timeline.
  • plans for the DES-Brazil meeting (19th and 21st January), Nicolaci and Bia requests (click here for an alternative path to these messages).
  • FTE count: past and future
  • AOB (any other business)

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet100112

Meeting: 22/12 @ 14h (Brasília time)

http://www.doodle.com/mhurepu2zyrdbb9y

Participants: Angelo, Gabriel, Martin, Pedro, Cristina, Carlos, Habib, Maria

Agenda

  • Discussion on the SLAC meeting (take a look at: and SLDESbrMeet091127 and NotesSLparallelSLAC)
  • Status of the projects: AddArcs, SOGRAS, "galfit subtraction" (GalClean?), arc statistics with P(c|M,z), arcs with N-body data, ENFW <-> PNFW
  • Escola de Verão do LAC/INPE 23-26/02/2010: http://www.lac.inpe.br/ELAC/
  • Initial planning for 2010: conclusion of some ongoing works, reporting, definition of milestones and deadlines, initial discussion of individual and group projects

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet091222

Meeting: 27/11 @ 14h (Brasília time)

Participants: Angelo, Carlos, Cristina, Mariana, Martín, Pedro

Agenda:

  • report on this week's goals and preparation for SLAC:
    • Have AddArcs v0.1 working (with arcs in 4 bands): Pedro & Carlos
    • Arc statistics using CMZ: Gabriel
    • Lensing of N-body mass distribution with gravlens and Rozo's code: Angelo
  • SLAC meeting:
    • review of presentations
    • questions in all fields to be taken to the SLAC meeting
    • remote participation in the SLAC meeting

Notes (partly in English and Partly in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet091127

Meeting: 20/11 @ 14h (Brasília time)

Agenda:

  • Participation in the SLAC meeting
  • Goals for next week and SLAC

Notes (in Portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet091120

AddArcs day(s)

Participants: Angelo, Carlos, Gabriel, Martín, Pedro, Sandro

One full day (18/11, 18h!), a half day (19/11 up to 23h...) and a final meeting (20/11, holiday...) of extreme programming to redefine the structure of AddArcs, use doxygen documentation, and employ git version control at the ON repository.

Meeting: 06/11 @ 14h (Brasília time)

Agenda:

  • Discussion of what will be presented (and by who) on the DES-Brazil Workshop

Notes (in portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet061109

Meeting: 29/10 @ 10h (Brasília time)

Agenda:

  • The ArcEllipse function: properties and potential applications for measuring and simulating gravitational arcs
  • Discussion of the action items in SLDESbrMeet231009
  • Plans for the DES-Brazil November collaboration meeting
  • SLTools
    • Create "SLcode"(?) folder on Git (see SLtoolsTree)
    • Build system for AddArcs and SLTools, Tawala

Notes (in portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet291009

Meeting: 23/10 @ 14h (Brasília time)

Agenda:

  • What is missing for AddArcs v0.1? Define the AddArcs schedule and milestones
  • Plans for the DES-Brazil November collaboration meeting
  • Plans for the DES December collaboration meeting
  • Select a volunteer to report his/her work on the next meeting
  • http://software-carpentry.org/
  • SLTools
    • Create "SLcode"(?) folder on Git (see SLtoolsTree)
    • Build system for AddArcs and SLTools, Tawala

Notes (in portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet231009

Meeting: 16/10 @ 14h (Brasília time)

Agenda:

  • Discussion on the git "training"
  • Paper discussion: Oguri, Masamune; Blandford, Roger D., What is the largest Einstein radius in the universe? ADS link
  • SLTools modules design and repository structure

Notes (in portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet161009

Meeting: 09/10 @ 14h (Brasília time)

Agenda:

  • Discussion on the git "training"
  • Paper discussion. Reading list (2 most voted in http://www.doodle.com/659qqpvsus2we7ee?adminKey=):
    • L.V.E. Koopmans, et al., Strong Gravitational Lensing as a Probe of Gravity, Dark-Matter and Super-Massive Black Holes, arXiv:0902.3186
    • Oguri, Masamune; Blandford, Roger D., What is the largest Einstein radius in the universe? ADS link

Notes (in portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet091009

Meeting: 02/10 @ 14h (Brasília time)

Participants: Angelo, Basílio, Cristina (UFRGS), Carlos, Gabriel, Habib, Martín, Pedro (CBPF).

Agenda:

Notes (in portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet091002

Meeting: 25/09 @ 14h (Brasília time)

Participants: Angelo, Carlos, Cristina, Gabriel, Habib, Martin, Pedro

Agenda:

  • Report on progress on the AddArcs installation in the DES-Brazil portal
  • Report on the arc simulartions for the GSN/DC-5
  • Report on the Lensing School at IAP
  • Report on the Statistics school at INPE
  • Next steps for the group: management, AddArcs/LStools, arcfinding, MaxDistTest, etc.
  • Structure and periodicity of next meetings: scope, participants, etc. (journal club, presentations, etc.)
  • Git tutorial
  • Any other subject?

Notes (in portuguese) at SLDESbrMeet090925

2nd Local AddArcs meeting, 21/08 at 14h @ CBPF

Defined with: http://www.doodle.com/y9mgvttheg34id5v

Notes of the meeting and task list at AddArcsMeet02

1st Local AddArcs meeting, 14/08 at 14h @ CBPF

See notes at AddArcsMeet01

Some items for discussion

  • "Good programming practices" (discussion with Sandro)
  • Review of AddArcs
    • Aims and general structure
  • Administrating a large code
    • Documenting the code: twiki and Epydoc (http://epydoc.sourceforge.net/)
    • Code Versioning and repositories
    • Communication among modules, the configuration file/module (AddArcsConfig), and definition of the variable values
    • Dependencies: both on "internal" and "external" codes and modules (max and min verion of external programs, with sources, etc.
    • Log file(s), warnings, etc.
  • Collaboration issues:
    • Sharing and keeping information: wiki environment, mailing lists, documentation, task lists, etc.

Meeting: 15/05 @ 14h (Brasília time)

Agenda: Preparation for the DES International Collaboration Meeting

  • Status of AddArcs code and portal implementation [ Pedro, Caros ]
  • Testing the galfit subtraction on the simulated images [ Basílio/Cristina ]
  • Results with Horesh's code [ Cristina ]

Meeting 24/04 @ 14h (Brasília time)

[meeting defined with the poll @ http://www.doodle.com/r6as6ybkw67gg6iq ]

Tasks:

  • Arc simulations:
    • scripts to run each lens and/or tile in a cluster [ Carlos ]
    • structure of the program in moduli and functions [ Pedro ]
    • organize outputs, including catalogs [ Pedro ]
    • optimize the program (use tabulated models, change inttol, etc.) [ Pedro ]
  • Testing the galfit subtraction on the simulated images [ Basílio/Cristina ]

Discussion:

  • Status of the AddArcs code and goals for the DES-Brazil and the DES International Collaboration meetings
  • General plans for these meetings
  • Arcfinding methods: Fermilab (download code and images), Horesh, Lenzen [-> Cristina will implement Horesh's code on their HST images and on the DC-4 images with arcs]
  • MaxDistTestII

Reading list:

  • G. Seidel, M. Bartelmann, Arcfinder: An algorithm for the automatic detection of gravitational arcs, 2007, A&A 472, 341; astro-ph/0607547 (ADS link) [to be presented by Clécio ][uploaded file available at the bottom of this page][ canceled ]

Meeting 27/03 at 13h (Brasília time)

Participants: Carlos, Clécio, Gabriel, Marcelo, Pedro (CBPF), Cristina (UFRGS), Martín (Paris)

Tasks:

  • Automate the arc simulations:
    • Source magnitude input and information on the lens position on the headers (projected image and postage stamps) [ Pedro ]
    • Source positions with respect to the caustic [ Pedro ]
    • Ra, dec -> pixels conversion (and keep WCS in simulated image) [ Carlos ]
    • Reading the cluster (lens) and source data from catalogs, converting to lens model parameters [ Carlos/Gabriel ]
  • Produce more simulated arcs for Basílio and Cristina: fainter arcs (e.g. m_source = 25), blended with foreground galaxies, varying PSF (from 0.6 to 1.2 arcsec FWHM)

Discussion:

  • Final results on the maximum distance test [see MaxDistTest]

Reading list:

  • G. B. Caminha, et al., Abundance of giant arcs in clusters: redshift evolution and the importance of magnification [preprint/MSc thesis] [part II presented by Gabriel, pdf here]

Meeting 13/03 at 13h (Brasília time)

[meeting defined with the poll @ http://www.doodle.com/46nbyeme5n3tkp2h]

Participants: Carlos, Clécio, Gabriel, Pedro (CBPF), Cristina, Basílio (UFRGS), Martín (Paris)

Tasks:

  • Complete the tests of methods to determine the extreme pixels of an object (see MaxDistTest)
  • First simulated arc in a DC-4 image (see 1stDC4imgArc)

Discussion:

  • First results on adding arcs to DC-4 images and next steps [see more info at 1stDC4imgArc, and presentation here]

Reading list:

  • Cabanac et al., The CFHTLS strong lensing legacy survey. I. Survey overview and T0002 release sample, 2007, A&A 461, 813; astro-ph/0610362 (ADS link) [presented by Cristina ][uploaded file available at the bottom of this page]

Meeting 27/02/2009 16h-18h

Participants: Martin, Pedro (CBPF), Cristina, Basílio, Carlos (UFRGS)

Tasks:

  • Complete the tests of methods to determine the extreme pixels of an object [not completed]

Discussion:

  • New results on finding object extrema using the "circle" method (Carlos)
  • Differences and improvements with respect to Meneghetti et al. 2008 for arc simulations in DES

Reading list:

  • Massimo Meneghetti, et al., 2008, Realistic simulations of gravitational lensing by galaxy clusters: extracting arc parameters from mock DUNE images, A&A 482, 403; arXiv:0711.3418 (arXiv, ADS links) [presented by Carlos Brandt ]

Meeting 18/02/2009, 10-12am at CAT's videoconference room

Participants: Martin, Carlos, Gabriel, Clécio (CBPF), Cristina, Basílio (UFRGS)

Reading list:

  • C. Alard, Gravitational arcs as a perturbation of the perfect ring, 2007, MNRAS 382, 58; arXiv:0706.0215 [ADS link] [presented by Martín]
  • G. B. Caminha, et al., Abundance of giant arcs in clusters: redshift evolution and the importance of magnification [preprint] [part I presented by Gabriel]

Meeting 06/02/2009

Participants: Carlos, Clécio, Gabriel, Martín, Pedro (CBPF)

Project:

  • Testing methods to determine the maximum distance within a set of points: MaxDistTest
Deadline: 16/02/2009

"Rules" for programs/modules:

  • header: what the program does
  • input parameters
  • output parameters
  • internal control parameters
  • dependencies
  • version (date and name of the programmer, modifications)


Selected Papers

Reading list:

  • Golse, G.; Kneib, J.-P., Pseudo elliptical lensing mass model: Application to the NFW mass distribution, A&A 390, 821 (2002), astro-ph/0112138 [ADS link]
  • Jullo, E.; Kneib, J.-P.; Limousin, M.; Elíasdóttir, Á.; Marshall, P. J.; Verdugo, T., 2007, A Bayesian approach to strong lensing modelling of galaxy clusters, JPh 9, 447; arXiv:0706.0048 (ADS link) [see their table I and associated material!]
  • Kassiola, A.; Kovner, I., Elliptic Mass Distributions versus Elliptic Potentials in Gravitational Lenses, ApJ 417, 450 (1993) [ADS link] [inclui cáusticas e curvas críticas][KK93]
  • Oguri, M., Systematic Effects on Tangential and Radial Arc Statistics: The Finite Source Size and Ellipticities of the Lens and Source, ApJ 573, 51 (2002), astro-ph/0203142 (ADS link)[pseudo elliptical NFW, finite size sources: tangential arcs are much less sensitive to source size] [with PNFW]
  • Fedeli, C.; Meneghetti, M.; Bartelmann, M.; Dolag, K.; Moscardini, L, 2006, A fast method for computing strong-lensing cross sections: application to merging clusters, A&A 447, 419; astro-ph/0507093. [pseudo-elliptical NFW to model merging clusters, e = 0.3]
  • Meneghetti, M.; Bartelmann, M.; Moscardini, L., Cluster cross-sections for strong lensing: analytic and numerical lens models, MNRAS 340, 105 (2003); astro-ph/0201501 (ADS link)[interesting comparison between analytic and n-body models for strong lensing; SIS x NFW][analytic approximation for small k_s][cross section comparison]
  • M. Meneghetti, M. Bartelmann, A. Jenkins, C. Frenk, The effects of ellipticity and substructure on estimates of cluster density profiles based on lensing and kinematics, astro-ph/0509323 [also use pseudo-elliptical]
  • Shu, Chenggang; Zhou, Binglu; Bartelmann, Matthias; Comerford, Julia M.; Huang, J.-S.; Mellier, Yannick, Comparisons between Isothermal and NFW Mass Profiles for Strong-Lensing Galaxy Clusters, ApJ 685, 70; ArXiv:0805.1148 (ADS link)

  • Masamune Oguri, Jounghun Lee, Yasushi Suto, Arc Statistics in Triaxial Dark Matter Halos: Testing the Collisionless Cold Dark Matter Paradigm, Astrophys.J. 599 (2003) 7-23; Erratum-ibid. 608 (2004) 1175; astro-ph/0306102. (ADS link)[OLS03] [with ENFW]
  • Comerford, Julia M.; Meneghetti, Massimo; Bartelmann, Matthias; Schirmer, Mischa, 2006, Mass Distributions of Hubble Space Telescope Galaxy Clusters from Gravitational Arcs, ApJ 642, 39; astro-ph/0511330 (ADS link) [uses PNFW]
  • Wayth, R. B.; Webster, R. L., LENSVIEW: software for modelling resolved gravitational lens images, MNRAS 372, 1187 (ADS link) [only PNFW]

  • Rozo, E., Nagai, D., Keeton, C., Kravtsov, A., The Impact of Baryonic Cooling on Giant Arc Abundances, astro-ph/0609621
  • Horesh, Assaf; Ofek, Eran O.; Maoz, Dan; Bartelmann, Matthias; Meneghetti, Massimo; Rix, Hans-Walter, The Lensed Arc Production Efficiency of Galaxy Clusters: A Comparison of Matched Observed and Simulated Samples, ApJ 633, 768 (2005); astro-ph/0507454. (ADS link)[Horesh05][uses clusters from the Smith HST sample, selects clusters from simulations, lenses HDF using photo-z, agreement between simulation and data]

Notation:

  • Pseudo-elliptical NFW (PNFW): elliptical lensing potential (rescaled projected gravitational potential)
  • Elliptical NFW (ENFW): elliptical projected mass (elliptical iso-convergence contours)

Strong Lensing and cosmology

  • Cosmological Constraints from Strong Gravitational Lensing in Galaxy Clusters, Eric Jullo, Priyamvada Natarajan, Jean-Paul Kneib, Anson d'Aloisio, Marceau Limousin, Johan Richard, Carlo Schimd, 2010, arXiv:1008.4802 [Published by Science on August 20, 2010]
  • Cosmography with cluster strong lenses: the influence of substructure and line-of-sight halos, Anson D'Aloisio, Priyamvada Natarajan, 2010, arXiv:1010.0004

Modeling Strong Lenses

Selected papers:

  • S. Peiran, C. Alard, C. Pichon, R. Gavazzi, D. Aubert, Numerical investigation of lenses with substructures using the perturbative method, arXiv:0804.4277 [Higher resolution figures at http://www.oca.eu/peirani/lensing.pdf]
  • C. Alard, Perturbative signature of substructures in strong gravitational lenses, 2008, arXiv:0803.2295
  • C. Alard, Gravitational arcs as a perturbation of the perfect ring, 2007, MNRAS 382, 58; arXiv:0706.0215 [ADS link]


Activities with undergraduate students [From 12 July 2006 to 23 August 2007]


  • Study of a review paper by J. Wambsganss and lecture notes from M. Meneghtti (see more details below)

Estudo das notas de aula do Meneghetti (encerrado)

Reuniões às quintas-feiras, às 13h.

Seções e apresentadores

  • 3.2 - Clécio. OK
  • 3.2.1 e 3.2.2 - Maria. OK
  • 3.2.3 - Lucas [apresentado por Martín]
  • 3.3.1 e 3.3.2 - Marcelo. OK
  • 5 - Pedro Ferreira. [apresentando]

Próxima Reunião de IC: 23/08/2007

  • Pedro: capítulo 5, seção 5.2

Estudo e utilização do Hyper-z

  • Participantes: Clécio, Maria, Marcelo

Áreas de interesse

  • indentificação e caracterização dos arcos
  • caracterização da distribuição de galáxias (magnitudes, desvios para o vermelho e tamanhos)
  • simulações simples de lentes (gravlens)
  • medidas em simulações de N-corpos (para obter efeitos de lente gravitacional)
  • construção de uma lente

Projetos em desenvolvimento

  • Pedro da Cunha Ferreira (projeto de IC e monografia de conclusão do curso de astronomia/UFRJ): Estimativas locais para arcos/Curvatura dos arcos gravitacionais
  • Clécio de Bom: Identificação de arcos em imagens astronômicas
  • Lucas: Limites observacionais em modelos de quartessência / Simulações de N-corpos
  • Maria Elidaiana: Distribuição de galáxias em função de z / Efeito fraco de lente gravitacional por aglomerados de galáxias em simulações de N-corpos
  • Marcelo Vargas: caracterização de arcos gravitacionais em imagens
Para maiores detalhes, clique aqui

Dicas para a utilização do Gravlens

Para executar o gravlens de qualquer diretório, editar o arquivo .bashrc, acrescentando a seguinte linha: export PATH=/home/martin/GravLens/GravLens/:$PATH (no path, botem onde está gravado o GravLens, esse exemplo acima é o do meu computador). Depois de salvar o .bashrc, abra outra janela. De qualquer diretório é só digitar gravlens que ele vai rodar o programa.

Seguir o tutorial http://redfive.rutgers.edu/~keeton/gravlens/Tutorial/Gravlens_Tutorial_Introduction.html

Veja mais em Resources

Se o programa requer muitos cálculos de fontes/imagens com o mesmo modelo de lente, pode ser útil utilizar valores tabulados para as quantidades relevantes (ver seção 4.3 do manual), além de escolher a opção catalog=1 (ver seção 4.4.3) e omitcore (4.5.3).

Reuniões e atividades passadas

Reunião de IC: 16/08/2007

  • Pedro: capítulo 5, continuação da seção 5.1.4 (a partir da eq. 5.43) e seção 5.1.5
Presentes: Pedro, Marcelo, Maria, Clécio

Reunião de IC: 09/08/2007

  • Pedro: capítulo 5, discussão da série de Taylor
Presentes: Pedro, Maria, Marcelo

Reunião de IC: 02/08/2007

  • Pedro: capítulo 5, continuação da seção 5.1.4, até completar a equação 5.42
Presentes: Pedro Ferreira, Marcelo, Maria, Samantha

Reunião de IC: 25/07/2007

  • Pedro: seções 5.1.2, 5.1.3 e início da 5.1.4
  • Definição de novo horário de IC: quintas de 11h a 13h (segunda opção: quintas, de 13h às 15h)
Presentes: Lucas, Clécio, Marcelo, Pedro Malta, Pedro Ferreira, Maria, Samantha

IV Escola de Cosmologia e Gravitação: 16-20/07/2007 Participaram: Maria, Clécio, Marcelo, Samantha, Pedro Ferreira e Pedro Malta

Reunião de IC: 19/07/2007

  • Marcelo: seção 3.2.2
  • Pedro: início capítulo 5 até 5.1.1

Reunião de IC: 12/07/2007

  • Marcelo: seção 3.2.2
  • Pedro: início capítulo 5

Jornada interna de IC: 05/07/2007

  • discussão e definição dos passos futuros
Presentes: Marcelo, Pedro, Lucas

DES-BRAZIL LECTURE SERIES: 31/05/2007

  • Bayesian analysis of joint strong gravitational lensing and dynamic mass - Antônio Guimarães (IAG/USP)

Reunião de IC: 24/05/2007

  • Marcelo: seção 3.3.1

Reunião de IC: 17/05/2007

  • Maria: seção 3.2.2
  • Martín: seção 3.2.3

Reunião de IC: 10/05/2007

  • Maria: Seção 3.2.1
Presentes: Marcelo, Pedro, Maria

DES-BRAZIL LECTURE SERIES: 02/05/2007

  • Photometric Redshifts Strike Back, Dr. Joan-Marc Miralles (ON-MCT)

DES-BRAZIL LECTURE SERIES: 26/04/2007

  • Photometric Redshifts - The Primer/A New Hope, Dr. Joan-Marc Miralles (ON-MCT)
Presentes: Marcelo, Clécio, Pedro, Maria

Reunião de IC: 19/04/2007

  • Clécio: retomou a discussão da seção 3.2: páginas 29 a 31.
  • Martín: comentário sobre cáusticas, curvas críticas e a formação de arcos e imagens múltiplas.
Presentes: Marcelo, Pedro Ferreira, Clécio, Maria

Reunião de IC: 12/04/2007

  • Clécio: Seção 3.2; obteve as equações (3.21) a (3.26), retomou a discussão do livro a partir da eq. (3.34).
Presentes: Marcelo, Pedro Ferreira, Lucas, Clécio, Maria

Reunião de IC: 05/04/2007

  • Clécio: Seção 3.2, até p. 29
  • Anúncio sobre participação na SAB e sobre a escola de cosmologia
Presentes: Marcelo, Samantha, Clécio, Pedro Ferreira, Maria

Reunião de IC 29/03/2007

  • Finalizamos seção 2 (2.3, potencial de lente)
Presentes: Marcelo, Pedro Ferreira, Maria, Lucas, Clécio

Reunião de IC 22/03/2007

  • Meneghetti 2.2
Presentes: Marcelo, Pedro Ferreira, Maria, Lucas, Clécio

Reunião de IC 6/03/2007

  • Meneghetti 2.1
  • Definição de horários (quintas-feiras 11-13), informes atividades DES (7/03, 19-20/03)

Reunião de IC 01/03/2007 (5a)

  • Aula do Marcelo Vargas sobre esfera isotérmica singular

Reunião de IC 28/02/2007 (4a)

  • reunião para atualização sobre o estado da instalação/execução do GADGET
  • reunião com Nilton para discutir o protótipo do CosmoCluster

Reunião de IC 26/02/2007

  • conclusão do estudo dirigido do Wambsganss: finalização da discussão do mapeamento de lentes (ou seja, final da seção 3.6).
  • início da discussão das notas de Meneghetti, seção 2.4.

Presentes: Marcelo Vargas, Pedro Malta, Pedro Ferreira, Maria

Exercícios:

  • Estudar e fazer as contas das seções 3.1 (massa pontual) e 3.2.1 (esfera isotérmica singular) do Meneghetti.
  • Ler as seções 4.4 e 4.5 do Wambsganss, que estão relacionadas com o nosso trabalho.
  • Seguir o tutorial do GravLens (parte de esfera isotérmica).
  • Comentários/dicas:
    • O ângulo de deflexão produzido pela esfera isotérmica já foi discutido no Wambsganss. Notem que, em módulo, esse ângulo é constante. No entanto, como trata-se de um "vetor ângulo", com módulo, direção e sentido, devemos escrever: alfa_i = constante * x_i /|x|. (|x|=sqrt(x1^2+ x2^2)). É essa expressão que vai permitir a vocês calcular dalfa_i/dtheta_j, para calcular o jacobiano da transformação e obter a convergência e o cisalhamento.
    • O Menegheti usa uma normalização para a equação da lente. Usem, por enquanto, a equação da lente em sua forma usual. Isso pode causar diferenças de fatores entre os seus resultados e os do Meneghetti.

Reunião de IC 15/02/2007

  • Cobrimos partes das seções 3.4 a 3.6.
  • Discussão sobre posição das imagens e magnificação da lente pontual:
    • Simetria em relação a beta/2. Simetria circular, alinhamento entre fontes, imagens e lente (dfi=0), daí mi = teta*dteta/(beta*dbeta)
  • Densidade projetada da esfera isotérmica.
  • Mapeamento de lentes até magnificação.
    • Para obter a magnificação, utilizamos o produto vetorial de vetores infinitesimais no plano das fontes e das imagens mi = |dteta x deteta'|/|dbeta x debeta'| (isso não está nos textos).

Presentes: Lucas, Marcelo Vargas, Pedro Malta, Pedro Ferreira, Clécio

Reunião de IC 13/02/2007

  • Discussão detalhada para obter o perfil radial da esfera isotérmica (singular).

Presentes: Lucas, Marcelo Vargas

Reunião de IC 08/02/2007

Presentes: Marcelo Vargas, Pedro Malta, Pedro Ferreira, Samantha, Lucas

  • Exercício: estudar as seções 2.1 a 2.4 das notas do Massimo Menegheti.
Não há nada de muito novo nessas seções, o que vai facilitar, mas há cálculos um pouco mais detalhados, o que deve ajudar na compreensão. Também podem ver a seção 3.1, sobre massa pontual (aliás, ali está bem claro o erro do Wambsganss que a gente descobriu).

Reunião de IC 06/02/2007

Presentes: Marcelo Vargas, Pedro Malta, Pedro Ferreira, Samantha, Clécio

  • Exercício: Agora que vocês fecharam a parte de lente pontual, sugiro que façam uma utilização bem simples do GravLens para esse caso.
O GravLens é um programa bem poderoso e pode parecer bobeira utilizá-lo num caso mais simples, mas é só para vocês irem se acostumando com o programa. A tarefa é muito simples:

Reunião de IC 01/02/2007

Presentes: Marcelo Vargas, Pedro Malta, Pedro Ferreira, Samantha, Clécio, Lucas, Maria

Tarefas

  • Instalar o ds9 nas contas pessoais
  • baixar imagens da mesonpi via FTP
  • visualizar as imagens de várias formas.
  • instalar o GravLens
  • grupo de simulações: verificar com Marcelo o status do controlador condor do
cluster. Clécio passa as novidades para o grupo.

Reunião de IC 30/01/2007

Presentes: Marcelo Vargas, Pedro Malta, Samantha

Para quem não tem, lembro que o artigo do Joachim está em: http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-1998-12/download/lrr-1998-12Color.pdf

e o do Massimo pode ser obtido em http://www.ita.uni-heidelberg.de/~massimo/sub/Lectures/chapter2.pdf

Reunião de IC 25/01/2007

Presentes Lucas, Marcelo Vargas, Pedro Malta, e Samantha

  • discussão do artigo de Wambsganss até a parte de densidade crítica.

Joan-Marc Miralles (aula 1), 25/10/2006

Presentes: Pedro Cunha, Pedro Malta, Clécio, Marcelo Vargas, Loloano

Joan-Marc Miralles (aula 2), 01/11/2006

Presentes [aprox. 20 pessoas]: Lucas, Maria, Samantha, Pedro Cunha, Pedro Malta, Clécio, Loloano, Marcelo Vargas, Saulo

Aula de Márcio Maia, 16/10/2006

Presentes: Pedro Malta, Clécio, Maria, Pedro Cunha, Loloano, Marcelo Vargas

Reunião de IC 06/09/2006

Presentes: Maria Elidaiana, Marcelo Gonçalves, Felipe Tovar, João Antônio, Loloano, Pedro Malta, Lucas, Samantha, Francisco

Reunião de IC 30/08/2006

Presentes: Clécio, Pedro Ferreira, Pedro Malta, Lucas, Maria, Samantha, Felipe, Marcela, Raquel

Atividade IC/DES 28/08/2006

  • DES astro-ph club: 14h
Presentes: Pellegrini, Marcelo Gonçalves, Pedro Malta, Joan-Marc, Martín, Nicolaci, Ogando, Bia, Márcio Maia, Lucas

  • N-body simulations (Lucas): 16h

Presentes: Pellegrini, Marcelo Gonçalves, Felipe Poulis, Joan-Marc, Martín, Nicolaci, Ogando, Bia, Márcio Maia, Lucas, Felipe Tovar, Nelson, Rafael, Pedro Ferreira, Maria

Aula lentes 3, 23/08/2006

Presentes: Maria, Marcelo Vargas, Pedro Ferreira, Clécio, Pedro Malta, Loloano, João Antônio

Aula lentes 2, 16/08/2006

Presentes: Pedro Ferreira, Maria Elidaiana, Josephine Rua, Pedro Malta, Marcelo Vargas, Samantha Confort, Saulo, Lucas

Aula lentes 1, 12/07/2006

  • Introdução histórica. Equação da lente.

-- MartinMakler - 21 Apr 2007

Edit | Attach | PDF version | Print version | %SUBSCRIBE% | Raw View | WYSIWYG | Backlinks | History: r8 < r7 < r6 < r5 < r4 | More topic actions...
Topic revision: r7 - 2014-01-06 - TWikiAdminUser
 

Edit Attach

Online users: %VISITORS{format="$wikiusername" sep="$n" max="unlimited"}%